Laser Hair Treatment in Scottsdale and Avondale
We provide Laser Hair Reduction for women and men of all skin tones and types. We can even treat tanned patients. The unique design of the Cutera Nd YAG™ Laser uses longer laser wavelength and an innovative cooling design that allows for safe, gentle and effective results. Women can eliminate unwanted hair on bikini lines, legs, and underarms. Men can removed unwanted hair on the chest and back. Most areas require a minimum of 6 treatments 4-6 weeks apart. CoolGlide™ Laser systems work by disabling the hair that is in the active growth phase at the time of treatment. Since other hair will enter the active growth phase at different times, additional treatments are necessary to disable all of the hair follicles in a given area. No local anesthesia or pain medication is typically required, however some patients do prefer to use a topical anesthetic when sensitive areas are treated.
WHAT IS TREATMENT LIKE?
Your regular skin care routine is the only preparation for this procedure. Please do not wear makeup or moisturizing creams on the area to be treated, because some kinds of makeup can absorb and waste laser energy. Regular skin care routine is the only preparation for this procedure.
If numbing cream has been advised, please apply a small thin layer to the treatment area at least one hour prior to the procedure.
Please shave the areas to be treated before you come in for treatment. Shaving allows you to shape the area you wish to be treated exactly as you like. This is very helpful especially in the bikini area. The treatment area will be less sensitive if you have shaven at least 3-4 hrs. prior to the procedure. Please note: We do charge a small fee for our technicians to shave the area for you.
After any further questions have been answered and consent forms signed, the areas you wish to have treated will be cleansed and pre-treatment photos may be taken. Everyone in the esthetic room must wear protective goggles during the procedure. The Cutera CoolGlide™ can cause eye injury if proper eyewear is not worn while the laser is used. We will not treat anyone without protective goggles.
The length of the procedure itself can take just a few minutes for the upper lip to an hour or more for more extensive areas such as a gentleman’s back or chest.
A thin coat of clear gel is lightly smoothed over the skin, and then our carefully trained laser technicians quickly and evenly apply the laser pulses. Ice packs are immediately placed on the treatment areas.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- The FDA approved this technology for permanent hair reduction
- You experience no down time
- You can resume regular activities immediately
- Less pain and discomfort compared to other treatment methods
- Large areas can be treated quickly
- Chances of scarring and pigmentation changes are minimized
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
The unique design of the CoolGlide™ laser, and the long wavelength, allows treatment of most people with all skin colors. Hair that is naturally blonde, light red, gray, or white does not have enough pigment in the roots and therefore it cannot be treated with any type of laser. Fewer treatments are needed when the hair color is dark and the skin color is light. to et the maximum effect from each session, you should avoid sun bathing and self-tanners. Children can be treated, but should be old enough to understand and cooperate with the treatment. We choose not to treat women who are pregnant, only as a precaution.
IS LASER HAIR REDUCTION REALLY "PERMANENT"?
"Permanent hair removal" means: "ALL the hair is gone, FOREVER!" There is NO hair removal method (including laser), which can guarantee anybody "permanent hair removal".
The most realistic description of the results after laser treatment is: "long-term hair REDUCTION". This means: "After six treatments the total amount of hair is greatly reduced -- generally by 70% to 90% -- and hair which does grow is often much finer and lighter in color."
It is important for you to realize that after having six treatment sessions it is VERY LIKELY that there WILL BE a very substantial reduction in both the amount of hair and also a reduction in the thickness and color of the hair in the treated areas. You should expect that this reduction in hair might last for many years.
Since lasers have only been used for hair removal for the last seven years, we can't know if the results will continue to be evident in 10 or 20 years. However, we do know that stable, long-term hair reduction usually lasts for at least two years, and some patients who had their last treatment six or seven years ago are still benefiting from a high degree of hair reduction.
SHOULD I EXPECT TO BE FREE OF HAIR IN THE TREATED AREA AFTER THE SERIES IS COMPLETE?
No, most patients experience an 70-90% reduction in the amount of hair in a given area, and a reduction in the thickness and color of the remaining hair, but should not expect to be totally free of hair.
It has been suggested that a 6 month follow-up may be sufficient to assess final outcome after the final laser hair removal session, because once re-growth has stabilized (usually within 6 months), there is usually little or no change in hair counts at 6,12, and 24 months.
HOW MUCH HAIR WILL GROW BACK AND HOW FAST WILL IT GROW BACK?
The Cutera CoolGlide™ laser (and other lasers) work by destroying hair roots which are active at the time of treatment, and which have enough pigment to absorb sufficient laser energy. The hair shafts in the treated hair follicles will fall out, or be "shed" 1-3 weeks after treatment.
After the first treatment, hair re-growth may resume within a few weeks or it may be anywhere from 2-4 months before any true hair growth is observed, as previously dormant hair follicles become active, and hair follicles which were stunned but not killed recover and start to produce hair shafts again. Some people find that there is not much extra hair reduction after the second treatment, and then they notice a substantial further reduction after the third or more commonly the fourth treatment. After four to six treatments there may be little or no re-growth for many years. In other cases you may wish to have an additional treatment after a period of time.
Hair fibers that re-grow after laser treatment generally are finer and lighter in color, and so are much less of a cosmetic problem.
WHY ARE 6 TREATMENT USUALLY NEEDED?
All lasers work by disabling hairs that are in their active growth cycle at the time of treatment. Hair follicles in their "dormant" phase have no hair shaft in them and so will not be affected by the laser. Because hair follicles cycle through "active" and "dormant" phases, additional sessions are usually desired once the "dormant" follicles become "active", and also to deal with hair follicles which were stunned but not killed by previous treatment.
There isn’t a treatment known today which will kill 100% of the hair follicles, 100% of the time. Cutera CoolGlide™ uses the longest, most deeply penetrating wavelength, to maximize the number of destroyed hair follicles.
At any one time, 50 to 85% of your hair follicles are in the active (Anagen) phase but only 1/4 to 1/3 of your hairs have enough of the pigment in their roots to absorb the laser beam which destroys the hair root. So, about 1/4 to 1/3 of your hair roots are good targets for the laser beam, and can be damaged or destroyed in a single laser session.
Because 1/4 to 1/3 of the actively growing pigmented hair roots are damaged or destroyed in any one session, almost all people will need a minimum of six treatments to reach a satisfactory degree of hair reduction, and many people will wish to have more than six treatments, even 8 treatments; and in some cases another session in six to twelve months.
The number of treatment needed is determined by the following:
- The desired degree of hair reduction
- Hair color (people with naturally light colored hair sometimes need more treatments).
- Ethnic and genetic background (people with dark skin sometimes need more treatments).
- Hormonal status
- The area being treated
- Hair density
- Weight (obesity can increase hair growth)
- Medications being taken
HOW CAN I GET THE BEST VALUE FROM EACH TREATMENT?
To get the best results with the smallest number of treatment sessions, please pay attention to the following guidelines as you work with us:
- Avoid waxing / plucking / and electrolysis. You may shave the hair only. Contrary to popular belief, shaving does not make hair grow back thicker, faster or darker. Please shave before and between treatments.
- Tanning should be avoided as well as using “self tanning” creams.
- Timing: It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the next cycle of hair roots to become active and develop pigment, which is the target for the laser. So, to get the best value from your CoolGlide™ treatments, you should wait 6-8 weeks between treatments.
There is no harm in having CoolGlide™ treatments MORE FREQUENTLY than every 6 weeks, or having CoolGlide™ treatments less than 6 weeks after waxing, plucking, etc. -- but this is less efficient, and could increase the total number of treatments needed to get a good result.
We are not aware of any medications that should not be taken while you are getting CoolGlide™ laser treatment.
Pre-treatment with medicines like Zovirax™, is NOT necessary, unless you tend to get a lot of cold sores or fever blisters in the area to be treated.
HOW PAINFUL IS THE PROCEDURE?
You may feel a snapping or tingling sensation like a rubber band. There is no bleeding nor is an open wound created. Some people find the very first laser treatment more uncomfortable than subsequent treatments. This is usually because patients are more apprehensive during the first treatment.
Many patients find that they have less discomfort if they shave the area to be treated at least a couple of hours before coming in for treatment, because freshly shaved skin is often somewhat more sensitive.
While some areas of the body, like the upper lip, are more sensitive than others, many patients report little or no discomfort. If there is unusual discomfort, please let us know.
Those who think they have a very low pain threshold occasionally use, in very sensitive areas, our own formulated anesthetic cream. It can be purchased from our office after your initial consultation. A thin layer should be applied at least an hour before the procedure. Most people do best with cooling gel packs, and do not need anesthetic cream.
Some people find it helpful to simply take two or three plain Tylenol and/or Advil a couple of hours before coming in for treatment. Some women who find that they are less sensitive after their menses prefer to schedule their treatment sessions to avoid the premenstrual and menstrual time.
WHAT YOU EXPECT AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
Redness often has faded by the time you get home. It would not be uncommon for the skin to be slightly drier that evening and requiring more of your favorite moisturizer.
The hair follicles may appear slightly more obvious or a bit pink for the next day or two, but this is seldom a cosmetic problem, and generally much less obvious than after waxing or shaving.
WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THERE IS MORE GROWTH FOR A FEW WEEKS POST TREATMENT?
Lasers destroy hair roots, which are active at the time of treatment, but do not remove hair shafts instantly. Hair shafts in the treated hair follicles will fall out, or be "shed" in the first week after treatment, with all of the treated hairs falling out within 2-3 weeks.
It is normal that some hairs in the treated area may not fall out within 2-3 weeks. These will be treated in the next session.
It is best not to shave the treated area or to wash it with anything but mild soap for 3-4 days after laser treatment, because some people find that their skin is irritated.
ARE THERE RESTRICTIOONS ON ACTIVITES AFTER TREATMENT?
Since the laser does not burn or cut the skin in any way, no bandages are necessary. You can return to work the same day and resume all your regular activities. To reduce the chance of uneven tanning in the treated areas, you should minimize sun exposure and tanning for a week or two after treatments. Always wear sunscreen on the treated area.
It is OK to resume shaving the treated area after 3-4 days. You should NOT have waxing / plucking or electrolysis, because these procedures will temporarily remove pigmented hairs from the hair roots and reduce the effectiveness of your next laser treatment. Sometimes after plucking or waxing, the hair will become thicker and darker, because one of the ways that the body defends itself from chronic irritation is to produce thicker, darker hairs.
Shaving really is the BEST temporary way to remove unwanted hair before laser treatment, and between laser treatments. Shaving leaves the hair SHAFT in the hair follicle, so the hair shaft can be a target for laser energy, heat up and KILL the hair follicle.
You may shave as often as you want. It has been shown in scientific studies that:
- Shaving does NOT make hair grow faster, thicker or darker.
- Shaving does NOT make hair grow more profusely.
- Please do not do any waxing or plucking for 6 weeks before treatment, because hair follicles, which do not have hair shafts in them to absorb laser energy, will not be killed by the laser energy.
- Please try to minimize tanning for a week or two before treatment. A fresh tan or self-tanning creams can interfere with the effectiveness of the CoolGlide Laser treatment, though this is less of a problem than with older, shorter wavelength lasers.
- Please do not wear makeup on the areas to be treated. If makeup absorbs laser energy, less energy will reach your hair follicles and hair shafts, and if the makeup heats up it could irritate or burn your skin. We always clean the area that we will be doing the procedure. Makeup can be re-applied immediately after Cutera CoolGlide™ laser treatment, if you wish.
- Please shave the areas to be treated the day before treatment or on the morning of treatment. This way, the skin will be less sensitive. Shaving before you come in also allows you to shape the exact area you want treated -- this is sometimes very useful in areas like the hairline and sideburns, and in the bikini area. Excess hair above the surface of the skin absorbs and wastes laser energy, and reduces the amount of energy that reaches the hair root, where it is really needed. Excess hair above the surface of the skin also increases the chance of burning or irritating the skin.
- Some people do find it helpful to take two or three (200mg) Advil™ two hours before their scheduled appointment.
- Some women prefer to schedule their treatment sessions to avoid the premenstrual and menstrual time.
- Redness has often faded by the time you get home. It would not be uncommon for the skin to be slightly drier and require more moisturizer; the hair follicles may appear slightly more obvious or a bit pink for the next day or two.
- Avoid tanning for a week or two after treatment.
- Shaving is advised between laser treatments. Tweezing and waxing should be avoided because it could reduce the effectiveness of your next laser treatment.
- Blistering after Cutera laser hair removal is very uncommon, but usually resolves over a few days or a week with a small amount of Polysporin™ ointment several times a day. Please call us if this happens, or if you should have any other problems or concerns.
Consultations about Cutera CoolGlide laser hair removal can be scheduled with one of our Certified Laser Technicians by calling us at 480-657-7065 in the East Valley or 623-512-4055 in the West Valley. Treatment can sometimes be performed the same day as your consultation.
The entire staff at The Guyette Surgery Center has had Cutera CoolGlide™ laser hair removal themselves, and will take the time to discuss any questions you may have.
“On the night of my procedure, Dr. Guyette called me to see how I was feeling. I thought that was magnificent and it was greatly appreciated! I felt very cared for!” Gordon Stein